$15,000 GRANT AWARDED TO RENOVATE THE URBANA-CHAMPAIGN INDEPENDENT MEDIA CENTER
February 5, 2011 8:00AM – February 6, 2011 5:00PM
February 19, 2011 8:00AM – February 20, 2011 5:00PM
The UCIMC and faculty partners in the University of Illinois School of Architecture will be holding a barnraising event to construct a new staffing and work area in the main lobby of the building. The first of several first floor space renovation projects will re-envision our staffing area in the front lobby of the old post office. Our partners were recently awarded $15,000 from the University of Illinois Office of Public Engagement to fund the project. Join IMC members, volunteers, UI students and our faculty partners from the School of Architecture, at two Barnraising weekend events in February 2011. No prior expertise is required to volunteer, but if you do have construction, carpentry, or other experience, we welcome you!
If you can’t make it to either event, consider other ways you could be involved.
• Organize other volunteers!—Our project coordinator can help coordinate group or individual volunteers
• Loan tools to use on-site during the event. Hammers, screwdrivers, table saw, circular saw, etc.
• If you have leftover construction materials please contact us! You can make a tax-deductible donation based on the estimated value of the materials. Here are some of the things we’re looking for:
• 2x4s and other construction quality lumber of various sizes
• nails, screws, fasteners of various kinds, hinges, casters, etc.
• Plywood, OSB, pegboard, masonite, etc.
For more information, contact the Community Connections working group: email@example.com